Sunday, April 4, 2010

I felt pretty foiled today, tried to go to the library, and Tix on the Square, only to find most places were closed. As I parked and walked toward the library, an old man in an electric wheelchair with an oxygen tank strapped on the back. As he attempted to cross the street, he missed the sloped part of the curb and before my eyes his wheelchair leaned over and crashed leaving him on his side, leg under the chair, immobilized. I threw my purse down keys landing separately. 4 more young people joined in and we righted him after realizing he was heavy. He was Russian or Polish, and kept saying his left leg hurts with arthritis. I was afraid he had broken something. He said he didn't want the ambulance. It all happened so fast. As soon as we had him back on his chair, he wasted no time and said, 'Have a nice Easter,' riding off into the wind. The five of us stared at each other not knowing whether to say hello, thanks, or call him a medic. We agreed we had done a good deed and went our separate ways. I wish him well, he reminded me of the value of being kind to one another. It feels good.

No comments: